Expecting a vegetarian at your table this Christmas? This roasted cabbage is the way to go! It's savory, sweet, and salty on the outside and super tender on the inside.
Want to adapt this recipe for vegans? Swap out the butter for vegan butter (we love Earth Balance) or olive oil! Serve alongside our vegan mashed potatoes and vegan green bean casserole for a primo vegan feast.
Yields: 6 servings
Prep Time: 0 hours 25 mins
Total Time: 1 hour 55 mins
1 large head cabbage
3 tbsp. melted butter
1 tbsp. dijon mustard
2 tsp. maple syrup
1 tsp. vegetarian Worcestershire sauce (optional)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp. stalks celery, cut into quarters
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into thirds
1/2 yellow onion, cut into quarters
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp. freshly chopped sage
1 tbsp. freshly chopped rosemary
1 tbsp. freshly chopped thyme
1/2 c. low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
1 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
For the gravy
4 tbsp. butter
1/2 onion, finely chopped
4 oz. cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
1 tsp. freshly chopped sage
1 tsp. freshly chopped rosemary
1 tsp. freshly chopped thyme
3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
3 c. low-sodium vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cut stem off cabbage so it can sit flat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together melted butter, mustard, maple syrup, Worcestershire, and garlic powder, and season liberally with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine celery, carrots, onion, oil, and chopped herbs. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Place vegetable mixture in a large, oven-safe skillet. Nestle cabbage in the center, on top of the vegetables, and brush all over with half the melted butter mixture. Pour half of vegetable broth into the bottom of the skillet and cover cabbage with aluminum foil. Bake for 45 minutes.
- When 45 minutes have passed, remove foil and brush with remaining butter mixture. Add remaining ¼ cup broth and bake until cabbage is tender and slightly charred, 45 minutes more. (Pierce cabbage with a paring knife to check if it’s ready.)
- Meanwhile, make gravy: In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and cook, stirring until soft, 6 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and herbs and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are soft and golden, about 4 minutes. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute, then whisk in 3 cups of broth and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until mixture has thickened to your desired consistency, 5 minutes. (Add more broth if desired.)
- Slice cabbage into large wedges and serve with gravy. Garnish with parsley and serve hot.