Headaches are a common ailment that can really disrupt your day-to-day life. In lieu of medication, here are 8 effective home remedies to help prevent headaches:
1. Drink water: Hydrating has been found to relieve headaches in dehydrated people within 30 minutes to three hours.
2. Limit your alcohol: Studies have found that alcohol can cause tension and cluster headaches.
3. Get enough sleep: A study found that those who got less than six hours of sleep had more frequent and severe headaches.
4. Avoid foods with histamine: Consuming histamine, which is found in foods like aged cheeses, fermented food and cured meats, can cause migraines in some people.
5. Use essential oils: Peppermint and lavender essential oils have been found to be especially helpful for headache relief.
6. Use a cold compress: Applying a compress to your neck or face can decrease inflammation and constrict blood vessels, which reduces your headache pain.
7. Relax with yoga: Yoga has been found to significantly reduce headache symptoms, severity and frequency.
8. Drink ginger tea: Its antioxidants and anti-inflammatory substances can help reduce common headache symptoms such as nausea and vomiting.