While foods like burgers and candy are known to be unhealthy, there are a surprising number of less-obvious foods than can also be harmful. Here are six common foods that are secretly harming your body.
1. Elderberries: Though they’re popular in natural medicine, elderberries can cause some serious issues if consumed while under ripe or undercooked.
2. Nutmeg: This spice contains a toxin called myristicin, which means that it only takes two to three teaspoons to be lethal.
3. Tuna: Consuming too much can potentially cause damage to your kidneys and nervous system since tuna contains mercury.
4. Sushi: Raw fish is a potential source of salmonella, harmful bacteria and parasites.
5. Baked Potatoes: An inadequately cooled baked potato can cause botulism to form, which is a dangerous spore-forming bacteria.
6: Honey, Because of the low amount of processes honey goes through, it may also contain bacteria, including botulism spores.