A brushfire located in the Sepulveda Pass near the San Diego (405) Freeway and Getty Center Drive has burned at least 618 acres and prompted evacuation orders for thousands of residents living nearby, including Lakers basketball star, LeBron James. As of 5 p.m on Monday, the fire is only 5% contained.
According to an update from Los Angeles Fire Department Capt. Eric Scott, at least 10,000 structures, both residential and commercial, that have been placed under mandatory evacuation and that they know of at least 6 structures that have burned. No injuries have been reported.
Fire officials added that the Getty Center is not currently threatened by the blaze.
The brush fire was reported just after 1:30 a.m. Monday morning after a witness called the California Highway Patrol and told authorities they saw a fire had broken out on the hillside close to the freeway, with a possible report that a power line was on fire.
The CHP is urging residents to stay away from the 405 Freeway and have issued closures for Skirball Center Drive and the Mulholland Drive offramp. All offramps between Sepulveda and Sunset Blvds. on the northbound side have also been closed.
The 405 Freeway remained opened to help aid in evacuations.
Speaking at an update Monday morning about the fire, Councilman Paul Koretz had a strong message for those residents who might be in mandatory evacuation zones: "If you're in the mandatory evacuation zone and you're still there watching this, you're an idiot. Get the hell out. It's way too dangerous."
The fire was initially said to be about 3-4 acres, but quickly spread to about 40 acres. By 5 a.m., the fire had consumed more than 250 acres and was still zero percent contained.
The blaze prompted the Los Angeles Fire Department to sent an alert to residents' cell phone, with the message reading: "Emergency Alert. Prepare to evacuate due to fire near the Getty going W. More info: lafd.org/alerts." A second message later updated the message to include orders to actually evacuate.
Officials have issued mandatory evacuations for residents:
- For all homes east of Temescal Canyon Road,
- West of the 405 Freeway
- North of Sunset Blvd.
- South of Mullholland Blvd.
Evacuation warnings have been posted for all homes west of Temescal Canyon Rd to Topanga Canyon Boulevard to the west.
Classes have been suspended at Mount Saint Mary's Chalon Campus in Brentwood as well as at the Doheny Campus, which was not threatened by the Getty Fire. Other schools have closed due to air quality include:
- Berkeley Hall School
- Curtis School
- Milken Community Schools
- Mirman School
- Westland School
- Wise School
- Bel Air Preschool
All Santa Monica and Malibu schools are closed.
These Los Angeles Unified School District campuses are closed:
- Palisades Charter High School
- University High School Charter
- Emerson Middle School
- Revere Middle School
- Brentwood Elementary
- Brockton Elementary
- Canyon Elementary
- Community Magnet
- Fairburn Elementary
- Kentner Elementary
- Marquez Elementary
- Palisades Elementary
- Roscomare Elementary
- Nora Sterry Elementary
- Topanga Elementary
- Warner Elementary
- Westwood Elementary
Los Angeles Unified has also confirmed that the following independent charter schools are closed Monday:
- Citizens of the World - Gateway and Ivy Place campuses
- Magnolia Science Academy, #4 and #6
- Palisades Charter High School
In response to the blaze, officials have opened evacuations center for residents fleeing the fire. They include:
- Westwood Recreation Center (1350 South Sepulveda)
- Van Nuys / Sherman Oaks Recreation Center (14201 Huston St)
- Stoner Recreation Center (1835 Stoner)
- Palisades Recreation Center (851 Alma Real Dr)
**As of 4:00 PM Monday, the Palisades and Westwood Centers have transitioned into Shelters, with overnight sleeping arrangements and food. The remaining sites (Van Nuys / Sherman Oaks, Stoner and Cheviot Hills) will remain open until 8:00 PM Monday (tonight )and then close for the evening.
- West Valley Animal Shelter (20655 Plummer St)
- West LA Animal Shelter (11361 W Pico Bl)
- (Large animals) Hanson Dam Rec Area
- Per CHP FULL closure of the Southbound 405 Freeway from the 101 Freeway to Sunset Boulevard.
- WB/NB 101 and EB/SB 101 connectors to the 405 are closed.
- All Southbound traffic will be diverted to 101 and Easbound/Westbound from 101 closed to Southbound 405.
- As for Nortbound traffic... the offramps at Sepulveda Boulevard, Sunset Boulevard, Moraga Drive, Getty Center Drive, Skirball Center Drive and Mulholland Drive will be closed.